Sunday, October 9, 2011

Shield-proof; the power of protection


When our son Bradley was two years old, he ran away from home.  Not very far, just down the street.  I’ll never forget the helpless feeling that came over me as I ran up and down the street looking for him, along with a steady stream of neighbors, shouting his name and praying aloud.  My first thought was to ask God for His protection over Bradley and for his safe return.  The scene of the latter is one I’ll never forget; a neighbor carrying Bradley in her arms with our Labrador Retriever, Suzy, walking by her side.  The woman shared how she discovered Bradley in her back yard, just a few houses down from our home, only after noticing the black dog watching over him, not allowing him out of her sight. 

“For He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways.  They will bear you up in their hands, that you do not strike your foot against a stone.”  Psalm 91: 11-12

Because of God’s great love for us, He will use anything He chooses to protect us; even a black lab.  However, we must have a personal relationship with God to benefit from that protection.  I shudder to think of what the possibilities might have been had I not been a praying mom.  Even though bad things happen to Godly people, I thank God for the provision He makes through His “shield of protection” and I accept His ways above my own.

Thought to live by:  God provides the shield; we provide the response.

“Who’s your daddy; knowing God as Abba Father”, Copyright © 2011, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment