Friday, April 1, 2011

Winning shot

Described by most as a "normal" kid, Wes Leonard was anything but. Standing tall at 6' plus, Wes not only physically soared over his friends he mentally, spiritually and emotionally reached heights most adults have never even imagined reaching. Known as a talented athlete and a humble young man, Wes was someone who took all the recognition his young life would receive in stride while never realizing that his final "winning shot" would bring the world to their knees. Only seconds after Wes' last shot rung through the rim, his heart gave out on him. As a gasping audience cried and prayed Wes went to claim his heavenward prize; to be with Jesus.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:12-14/NIV)

How often is it that we take for granted the last thing we just did, said or engaged in, thinking that one more tomorrow is on the calendar of our short existence here on earth? I often have to remind myself that the last thing I just did could be the first thing God wants to talk to me about when I get to heaven – and that makes me stop and think, quite often. Living in fear is not of God and neither is living to die; but living in the moment while being fully present and embracing who Christ is in our lives is very much of God. Today, as you plan what your world will look like think about what you will say to God should today be the last chance you have to make a "winning shot". I'm almost certain Wes just thought he was playing basketball when in reality he was changing lives for eternity.

Thought to live by: I will make every moment of today count for Christ.

"Who's your daddy; knowing God as Abba Father" is a daily devotional written by Pat Ferguson (Copyright © 2011 Pat Ferguson; All rights reserved)


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment